the last spot

Sunday, February 26, 2006

"Freeeeeddddoooooom!"

That famous Mel Gibson quote from the movie Braveheart was appropriate for the fist time ever last night: Scotland won the Calcutta Cup back from England during their Six Nations match last night.

We were lucky enough to be in a pub packed full of Scottish Rugby fans. To give you an idea how unexpected Scotland's victory was, I had tried to find a pub full of English fans, so as to join in the celebrations with the "winning team". So I was a little nervous when we could only find room in a pub ninety percent colonized with Scottish fans.

I was not sure who to cheer for at first, England maybe where I was born, but England's style of rugby lacks just that: Style. By half time, with the score tied, and Scotland having lead so far, I was considering where I could get my own kilt on very short notice. In the final ten minutes of the match, the whole pub was singing the Scottish national ruby team's un-official theme song, The Flower of Scotland, with more energy then any national anthem I've ever herd (of course, Canadians tend to consider it a matter of national pride to slur most of the words to O'Canada).

Once the final whistle blown the streets were filled with thousands of very happy Scottish men and women. The sheer celebratory potential of drunken men in kilts has to be seen to be believed. Our hostel is on the main street for all the city's clubs and pubs, with about four times the amount of bars and clubs in all of Victoria packed into one street. The streets were FULL of people until 4am.

Many Scottish fans were wearing hats with a Loch-Ness Monster on top, I want one!

I have been inspired to figure out a way to get Canada to start some sort of a domestic rugby league. Of course with way things our going, my plan for an English Ice Hockey Team is not only my only possible avenue to Olympic athlete hood, we just might beat Canada at it's own game. Just like everyone else :)

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home