the last spot

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Beware the ides of March...

Sorry I have not posted in a while, I've been a busy with my new job. I had my coffee training last week. A dude from Illy Coffee came in to teach me how to make cappuccinos and Lattes, oh my! As you can tell, the place is a little serious about their coffee when they insist on teaching everyone how to make it themselves.

Coffee Master: "So how much experience have you had making cappuccinos and such?
Me: "None."
Coffee Master: "Ok,but how do you like your coffee?"
Me: "I can't stand the stuff, I don't even drink tea."
Coffee Master: (with a little too much glee) "Ah, a blank slate then."

He then proceeded to give me a whirlwind course in Coffee and all it's various forms. Nothing was left out, water temperature, bean selection, grinding, and the evils of Starbucks (or in his words "Those who we shall not name.") Having a guy dressed in all black with a Scottish accent explaining the intricacies of a complex Italian bedvradge was almost like having Sean Connery teaching me how to make Martinis. I was constantly waiting for the next sentence to be "Shaken, not stirred." This guy new everything about beans, oil and trade practices. His pure excitement for coffee was only briefly threatened when I burnt the milk during my first attempt at frothing. With in an hour I had produced a few decent Lattes and such which passed muster. With that, The Coffee Master left, muttering something about his parking meter running out. I however was not fooled, I knew he was off to fight against his one true enemy, Fliter Coffee.

From Coffee we now move to the death of Julius Caesar. How you ask? Read and learn (please forgive the 24 style narration):

"Happy birthday to me! Twenty Three. Yipee."

I was born on March the 15th, 1983. Julius Caesar was Murdered on this date in 44 BC, after being warned by a Soothsayer: "Beware the Ides of March."

For said birthday, we went to the movie Lucky Number Slevin. Not bad really, but a little too aware of itself as a movie in my opinion.

2 Comments:

  • Happy birthday Rory. Tell Shannon to check her hotmail account. Val

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at March 16, 2006 5:05 AM  

  • haha... i think it is sooo funny you are making coffee. i told you that filter stuff is evil...its all about the press.....mmmm... coffeee

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at March 20, 2006 5:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home