the last spot

Friday, March 03, 2006

Snow, with a chance of photos.


It's snowing! It has been since I got up and saw the flakes floating to the ground in their happy kamikaze spirals. The Australians working in the hostel ran around like little kids for the first hour, grinning in the same way most tourists do when seeing kangaroos for the first time. With in a few minutes a snow ball fight started, INSIDE the hostel! After being kicked back outside, one of the ozzys almost got hit by a double decker bus trying to avoid one of my snowballs.

With the snow day and all I've decided to take a day off from the job hunt. I have a trial shift at a Internet cafe on Saturday anyway. Oh, and I discovered that all the resumes I've been handing out so far have had the wrong phone number! Classic Rory maneuver. I'm now camped out in the dining room on my laptop, as the library 'net connections were messed up, and not allowing me to post to my blog. With full control of the CD player and central heating it is going to take some very tasty food to lure me out of my new den.

In other developments, Shan and I finally did the free walking tour yesterday, even though we have been here close to three weeks already, and know must of the stuff on it. The guy who dose the tour is from Barcelona, and the chance to go on a tour through the Scottish capital led by a Spanish guy in a kilt was too good to pass up :) We still learned some interesting facts as well, such as Greyfriers Bobby, a dog who upon his masters death, stood on his grave for fourteen years! There is a statue to him, and his grave site is now the most popular one in the whole cemetery. A cemetery, I should point out, that has the most poulterygist (sounds like a Latin word for intelligent chicken, doesn't it?) activity in all of Europe. What else...ummmm...A yes, the free way to get drunk. On the royal mile their are a lot of whisky shops, all of them will let you have two free shots if you seem genuinely interested in buying their wares. The trick is to stay sober enough to be convincing buy the third or fourth shop. No one knows what the record is, as they are too drunk by that point.

Well I need some brunch and then I'm going to take some pictures of all the snow before it melts. To use a cliche, Edinburgh castle looks as if it's been dusted with icing sugar. Or dandruff.


UPDATE: I've posted a bunch of photos from the whole trip so far. Just click HERE or on the photo at the top of the post. All the photos are captioned as well, it's amazing what I get done when the weather gets crappy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home