the last spot

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Short Canadian seeks employment as full time Blog writer...

As of 6 pm tomorrow I'm going back out on the job hunt. It turns out my upbeat predictions about the steps being closed were a little off base. A combination of the loss of business and the fact that the railway company offered the owners a really good compensation package means that Bytes and Slices will be closing for the foreseeable future. The idea is that the whole shop will be re-located to a busy pedestrian only street near by, but it could take up to six months. Word on the street is that the staff might even get a bit of compensation. I'm not one to turn down free money, so I'm all for it. The job market is still pretty good right now, so if all things go as planed I should be able to pick up some bar work with in a week or so.

The timing is almost perfect for me too, as I am heading down to England's forgotten metropolis of Norwich for my Cousin's stag/hen party. This was all booked holidays wise, but now that I'm "pro-actively un-employed", I was able to take advantage of cheaper flights.

Another un-expected benefit has been to win a small comedy war that had been brewing between myself and the new girl at work. Sarah, as she is known, thought the funniest thing on the planet was to tell me "Your fired!" at inappropriate moments during the day. I found out about work shutting down on a day she was not working. I think you can see where this is going :) As soon as she showed up for her shift I told her that she was fired with the real closing date of the store as her final shift. She was did not believe me of course, until that is, Benoit came over and started to explain that the store was closing soon, and that her position really would be non-existent. The look on her face once she figured out what was really going on was worth at least three weeks job hunting in my book :)

Anyway, I'm about to go drown my sorrows by heading out to see X-Men 3 with Team Canada.

1 Comments:

  • What was X-Men 3 and who exactly are Team Canada--I need names and numbers, please--photographs would be even better. Your Dad and I enjoyed the Da Vinci Code movie with Tom Hanks and we also enjoyed The World's Fastest Indian. Have you managed to find any work yet? How is Shannon doing these days? Does Josh have any job openings in his t-shirt factory? Your Dad and I are going to a 25th anniversary party at Vicki Dutton's on Sunday on Pender Island--golf tournament--we're jumping in Ceri and Bill Sanderson's car and plan to car pool together--the two short Ceri/Kerrys--should be fun! Laura got into UVic and she may spend the summer in Toronto/Trenton--Robert is heading for Kingston for 5 months soon. The Martineaus have just returned from their two month trip in their camper van across Canada.

    Love Mom

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at June 20, 2006 6:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home