the last spot

Thursday, November 23, 2006

Big Bad Update

This post was started weeks ago, and as you may have guessed, I have been too busy with the new job to finish it:
-------------------------------
Today is the National Trust's (the UK equivalent of Canadian Heritage) ONE DAY IN HISTORY campaign, an attempt to have as many people as possible to record their day and submit it one giant searchable blog. The idea is to end up with a massive blog-like time capsule of one day, as told by as many people as possible. October 17th was picked as it's a "Normal day" in history, with no major anniversaries. So:

My alarm woke me up for once this morning, which was lucky as we were up late shooting the shit. Shannon and I woke up at the same time, and one of the guys in the room sneaked into the shower before her. I can't wait till my first paycheck come though and we can get our own place again. Just trying to leave the room was a mission, as a massive Dutch school group was checking out of the hostel this morning, and decided the best place for all their stuff would be the hallway.

Kensel Rise station is only across the street, so I was really surprised when I ran into a friend of mine I met back in Canada. I'd known Hans (full name: Hans Christian Anderson, yes, he is related) was in London, but my procrastinating was preventing me from contacting him. We exchanged contact info and made plans for drinking on the weekend. The tube was packed as usual, but I get a seat as far as Waterloo, where I switch from the Bakerloo line to the Jubilee line. The Jubilee line is always packed to the brim with office workers. Standing room only till you get to Canary Wharf, then it's just you and a really confused looking tourist with the entire carriage to your selves. One more change for to a one stopper on the District line form west ham to Plaistow, then 7 mins on a bus to the school.

I only started my job a week and a half ago, so I'm trying to get everything in order for when the guy I am replacing leaves tomorrow. It takes me all day just to get the admin passwords for the computers and all the door and cupboard keys I need. Other then that I got to sit in on classes and do a bit of teaching. I spent lunchtime eating in the cafeteria, which is nearly deserted due to Ramadan. With at least 40% of the students being from a Muslim background I'm not surprised.

-----------------------------

Ya, that's as far as I got, then the guy I was replacing left. I should be "back" and in full posting form in a day or so.

6 Comments:

  • how long does it take Shannon to get ready in the morning now! It sounds like you need a place closer to work. Val

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 25, 2006 3:11 AM  

  • Great to read your updated blog! Hans is very pleased to have run into you and enjoys getting together with you and your friends. How is the job going, Rory and Shannon? Are your friends still living in the hostel--the ones you met in Edinburgh? Your Uncle Rick arrives at Heathrow Airport on the morning of Christmas Eve. Then he hires a car and drives straight to Cornwall to be with your grandparents. Have you got plans for Christmas yet? Love Mom

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 25, 2006 3:24 AM  

  • Have been reading your blog on and off for some time. Its great to hear your take on life in Britain! Congratulations on the new job. Thought I ought to let you know that October 17th was not an ordinary day by any means! It is the day Tom Bell was born - need I say more? Don't forget you are always welcome to visit us in Letchworth. love Sally

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 27, 2006 12:46 AM  

  • Hey momma FYI I get up at 7:20 and leave the hostel at 8:45. That includes a shower and free breakfast while watching Will and Grace, not too bad considering half of it is in the dark, and I have to scout out mirror space!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 27, 2006 5:09 PM  

  • Hey, this is not a Chat forum for the Scan-ers!

    -Rory

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 27, 2006 6:13 PM  

  • I want to comment too! I thought dad said you guys had a flat? Oh well I'm living in conditions of squalor far below those of any hostel... Anya has a messy room even by my standards.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 27, 2006 7:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home