the last spot

Friday, December 08, 2006

Tornado Update (What a title!)

It turns out that the tornado struck less then a block from where we are house sitting. Shannon and I ran in to each other on the way back last night, even though I had come all the way from east London. Since Chamberlayne Road was cordoned off, the buses were not running the entire length of the street, so Shan had to walk the whole way. It turned out OK as she saw me just as I was coming out of Kensal Rise station.

Two city blocks were (and still are) cordoned off by the emergency services. There were police and fire personal everywhere. Most of the damage occurred on and between Chamberlayne Road and Crediton Road. We are staying on Hanover road, which is basically just Crediton road, but a block down from us. There was no damage to the house we were in, and the Cats are all fine. Meow. We could see massive flood lights set up about half way down each of the effected streets. It looks like at least four to six of the houses will need to be demolished. Around ten have lost all or, part of there roof. Around 24 houses in total were un-inhabitable last night.

On my way to work this morning I walked past about three major news crews, all with satellite trucks, and one with a rented cherry picker to get high angle shots. There were also four police cordons, and tons of danger tape. There are still roof tiles littering the streets all around us.

It has been a strange week to say the least, and I still need to find a bed for Shannon and I tonight, as we are moving into the house we are renting in Forrest Gate tonight. The guys have been there all week, but we have barely stepped foot in the place since we have been house sitting the entire time in London's answer to tornado ally.

Tune in next week when we report on the predicted East London combined heat-wave and Ice-storm. It's like Hawaii, but with hail and Cockney accents.

6 Comments:

  • Ok, it did not work. Next time I send the tornado ....

    “ Close your eyes, tap your heals s (perhaps, one time for each Center) and think to yourself, ‘There’s no place like home…’”

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at December 08, 2006 8:13 PM  

  • Not sure about a bed but one of the wire photos shows a trampoline on the roof near by....

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at December 08, 2006 9:48 PM  

  • What a coincidence that the tornado touched down so close to the house where you and Shannon were house sitting! We saw it on the news on the internet--absolutely incredible! If we had not had that telephone conversation I would not have realised how close you were! You did say on the phone that it was very windy out--that was a bit of an understatement! Sonia is throwing her Christmas dinner tomorrow--Sam will return from Romania two weeks ahead of Daniela--you can call him and have a good chat when I find out what dates he has returned. Love Mom

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at December 08, 2006 11:29 PM  

  • Who would have thought tornadoes in London... good luck with the bed hunt. Val

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at December 09, 2006 3:05 AM  

  • Wow, I bet they'll never have you house-sit for them again...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at December 10, 2006 4:11 AM  

  • Hey Rory,

    Ya, isn't it mad? I got a call from my work collegue while I was setting up our new office asking where I lived and telling me that there was a tornadoe nearby where I lived (2 blocks from my road, 5 min walk, no less).

    I don't think I've ever been so dumbfounded while on the phone with someone for a few minutes, not knowing quite what to think. (Are they _joking_? A tornadoe in _London_?)

    hah, so a anyways. I'm leaving for Canada this Friday for three weeks!! Yay! Vancouver here I come!

    If you need a place to stay, you are always welcome to stay at my place!

    - Hans x

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at December 11, 2006 12:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home